TO RECESSION-PROOF YOUR CAREER -- EVEN IF YOU LOSE YOUR JOB
Recessions cut Jobs,
NOT careers. Jobs are for the here and now,
careers are your life. Always remember your skills
and abilities -- and that you aren't wedded to one business or
industry. So, here's what you must do…
- Know your assets (i.e., your skills
- Assess your current (or just past) industry
and company -- is it healthy? If not, do a "skills transfer"
- Keep tabs on the financial health of
- How's the department's profitability?
- How's the company moral? Is top brass
grim-faced with brows furrowed? Are colleagues happy?
- Plug into the company or industry grapevine.
Where there's smoke there's usually a fire. So how much smoke is there?
- Are promotion trends sideways or up?
If sideways, there may be less than a bright future for you where
- Do you have transferable skills? If
not, get some (i.e., computers (IT, or communication/persuasive skills)
to the Site Map